My EeePc 701 4G hardware hack

DeGrijze

Well finally with the help of my mate "Erwin" my EeePc 701 4G got (hardware) hacked.

Because my vision is not getting better with me growing older, and my mate Erwin still got a good 20-20 vision this (hardware) hack is done add my mate's place.

What did we do.

Well we added a mini USB-hub in to my EeePc, so the EeePc gets some extra internal usb ports for adding on some extra USB mem. sticks or what ever.

This is the mini USB-hub that we used.

And here we got the usb wiring/pinout info

And this (see picture below) is how we where going to do this (hardware) hack

eeepc-701-motherbord.jpg

And this is how we done it. (see picture below)

eeepc-hardware-hack.png

The internally made USB ports are going to get a usb stick 8 or 16 Gig Mem sticks, so there is just that little bit more extra working mem inside this sweet EeePc 701 4G.

Gerard

wow thats a nice mod man.. i'm impressed good stuff.. now is that slot big enough for a memory stick?? or just little bluetooth adapters

There is space for two USB Mem: sticks. (see picture below 1x8gig and 1x4gig mem stick)

2-memsticks.png

I wish I hadnt already used it up for Bluetooth :(

Thats where the extra wire in one of the picture's is going to before, the plane is to mount a mini BT usb stick somewhere in the top (screen) section of mine EeePc.

When i have done that i will be putting up some picture's of it in this post.

Gerard

Well got the latest Ubuntu-eee version 804-1 installed on my EeePc 701 4G +++.

180px-UbuntuEee8041.png

All do it got some startup prob's in the beginning but now this Ubuntu-eee versie 804-1 even runs on a EeePc 701 2Gig version :lol:

Gerard

that's awsome that you and your friend are that good at soldering that your confident enough that your not going to mess up your PC.

I once tried to mod my PS2 with a modchip, and the soldering points were so freaking tiny, and the directions that came with it were hard to follow!

lol I ended up going for it and turning my PS2 into a giant brick!

glad to see your PC is still in working order so you did the job successfully! good job! ;)

• 1 month later...

So i hardware hacked my wife's EeePc to, and like i promised to the people that emailed me for more info on how to open a EeePc 701 and this simple hardware hack .

But first this: PART-1

DISCLAIMER:

Note that modding your EeePc is at your own risk.

If your EeePc bricks neither I nor this site can be held responsible for this.

All so note that all the mods and methods described here will void your warranty.

Opening up and exposing your EEE Pc:

First remove keyboard by depressing marked tabs.

01.jpg

Keyboard and touchpad both has a ribbon cable connector.

Move the sliders forward to release the ribbon cables.

Be careful not to damage and avoid using force to pull back the ribbons.

They must gently give way.if not, means you couldn’t release the slider properly.

02.jpg

Unscrew all the red circled screws at the top metal plate and bottom cover.

Don’t worry to mix them all the screws are all same size.

03.jpg

04.jpg

PART-2

Now separate top cover from bottom one.You can do it by using your finger nails.

Don’t use force and go systematically all around the perimeter as shown.

05.jpg

06.jpg

Now you should see the motherboard.

Before lifting it up or ideally taking it out for any mod job you have to disconnect all the JST connectors pointed by red arrows.

You can also flip the board over the screen without disconnecting those but ideally it is better to disconnect all and take out the mobo.

Don’t forget to take out the rubber fill in the unused modem port as this can resist when you try to lift the board.

When lifting the mother board be careful not to use force and bend it.

There are two tabs under the touchpad area as can be seen.

These needs to be pushed back while lifting.

Also easy on the audio jacks and VGA connector.

It needs a careful navigation between them while lifting the motherboard.

07.jpg

08.jpg

PART-3

If you wish to mod in the LCD area,to open the LCD screen bezel remove 6 screws shown by the red arrows.

09.jpg

Then separate two parts from each other using your finger nails.

10.jpg

This is how a fully exposed EEE looks like.

http://www.w-p-k.org/picture_library/moddi...eePc-701/11.jpg

And so now we all know how to open a EeePc-701 we go on with the WiFi antenna hack.

From this store i got this laptop ext: antenna mounting set.

eeepc-ant-hack-1.JPG

PART-4

So i mounted the RP-sma plug on its place.

eeepc-ant-hack-2.JPG

Next i got the on the left sided (seen from the keyboard side) mounted wifi antenna in the display casing lose and out of the display casing.

eeepc-ant-hack-3.JPG

eeepc-ant-hack-4.JPG

The following step is finding a good place to drill a small hole in the display casing where the antenna coax cable for the externally mounted antenna has to run true.

eeepc-ant-hack-5.JPG

PART-5

After drilling the hole and leading the coax cable needly true the display casing i glued the antenna mounting bracket to the backside of the display casing with some 2 comp: contact glue and closed back the lid of the display casing.

eeepc-ant-hack-7.JPG

The next step is connecting this new coax antenna cable to the mini Pci express card there where the old internal wifi antenna coax cable is connected.

eeepc-ant-hack-6.JPG

Now its time to put the EeePc 701 back together again.

eeepc-ant-hack-8.JPG

eeepc-ant-hack-9.JPG

PART-7

<snippage..>

The only thing that is left over afthet completing this hardware hack is the old internal WiFi antenna with its coax cable.

<snippage>

And a EeePc 701 with just even more WiFi range and connecting power.

<snippage>

Gerard

methinks you are going to need an application called 'Powertop'.

methinks you are going to need an application called 'Powertop'.

Nope, i replaced the original stock battery (5200mAh) with a bigger one (10400mAh) and this bigger one gives me just under 5 hours of working time with my EeePc 701 4G full with the mod's i give it.

And 5 hours of working time with out a wall power outlet socket is fine by my standard.

Gerard

I bought a 701 just for hacking it. Looking at all the pics I thought oh that will be easy..

Opened my new 701, saw exactly how little room there is in there and put it all back together.

I'm still going to hack it, but it's not a 20 minute job, it's itty bitty in there!!

I bought a 701 just for hacking it. Looking at all the pics I thought oh that will be easy..

And they are just that easy to hardware hack

Opened my new 701, saw exactly how little room there is in there and put it all back together.

Little room ? there is more then space then you need to do every EeePc 701 hack there is.

I'm still going to hack it, but it's not a 20 minute job, it's itty bitty in there!!

True some EeePc 701 hacks take more time, butt there are all doable.

For my EeePc 701 i got my hands on a touchscreen Hackset (by ebay) a soon if its here i wiil put it in my EeePc 701

And when i get my hands on this USB GPS STICK i will mount that to in my EeePc screencasing. (but my problem is getting this USB GPS STICK its not sold anywhere here in Europe)

And just maybe i will swits the original mini PCI express wifi (2,5 G) card for one thats comp: with A (5 G) to, so i can connect to 2,4G and 5G accespoints.

Iam still a long way from finished with hardware hacking my EeePc 701

Gerard

• 4 weeks later...