Could Not Access Web Interface

chaos

Hi guys. I have upgraded my mk4 to the latest firmware: 2.1.0 with success. After that I have installed urlsnarf and sslstrip to the internal memory. When I tried to run sslstrip the pineapple web interface stopped working. I have tried to reset the mk4 with the reset button with no luck. I can only ssh to it. I port scanned and I found that the port 80 is not open!

The port scan:

Starting Nmap 5.51 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2012-05-31 19:51 EEST

Nmap scan report for 172.16.42.1

Host is up (0.0013s latency).

Not shown: 998 closed ports

PORT STATE SERVICE

22/tcp open ssh

53/tcp open domain

MAC Address: ----- (ALFA)

Any idea?

I thought to ssh again and scp the latest upgrade.bin and execute sysupgrade -n -v /tmp/upgrade.bin

Is that correct? Thanks in advance

Edited by chaos

I had this problem to but I resolved it.

What OS are you running?

Pineapple os Version?

First of all thanks for your replies but as I said the port 80 is not open. so the http server is not running

My OS is: Backtrack 5

Pineapple is Mk4 2.1.0

It's connected to POE/LAN port and I'm accessing the right url for the interface.

First of all thanks for your replies but as I said the port 80 is not open. so the http server is not running

My OS is: Backtrack 5

Pineapple is Mk4 2.1.0

It's connected to POE/LAN port and I'm accessing the right url for the interface.

Just covering all the bases. Have you added any IpTables rules?

I am also having this problem. Hakatta, what exactly did you do to resolve?

My setup:

Mac OSX 10.7.2 running Backtrack 5 in Parallels 6

Pineapple Mark IV running version 2.1.0

Swap/usb configured and tested on 4GB usb stick

Everything else seems to work: Karma, urlsnarf, etc. I am able to get sslstrip working on test clients by running it on the Backtrack OS, but not on the pineapple. It does not seem to run at all there, and shuts down the web UI when I attempt to enable it. Issuing a reboot command from SSH brings it back up.

Edited by Zayne

My setup:

Everything else seems to work: Karma, urlsnarf, etc. I am able to get sslstrip working on test clients by running it on the Backtrack OS, but not on the pineapple. It does not seem to run at all there, and shuts down the web UI when I attempt to enable it. Issuing a reboot command from SSH brings it back up.

Zayne how did you install sslstrip?

with the opkg package module? if so did you choose to install to usb? I found with this opkg module it does not display the errors and if you installed sslstrip to internal that could be why. sslstrip needs to be installed to usb.. the module sslstrip is for configuring and running sslstrip

Edited by petertfm

I have been able to reproduce this problem by conducting the following:

1) Upgrade to the latest firmware with memory stick plugged in

2) Install sslstrip to usb by the module only

3) Enable usb logging

4) Enable sslstrip

5) Interface dead.

The problems for me was:

1) The upgrade corrupted my memory stick so sslstrip and the usb logging couldn't install. When you turn sslstrip on the iptables redirects you to nothing. I reformatted the corrupted usb.

2) I have never had success with just installing sslstrip from the module. I always go to ssh and type:

- opkg update

- opkg install sslstrip --dest usb

Not sure if you are having the same issue but i don't get why the module cant run these commands when it works fine from ssh? Perhaps its a timing problem of the module trying to install sslstrip before the opkg update has finished properly? A fail safe for this would be not allowing the sslstrip module to turn on if sslstrip is not installed. Chaos may have set his sslstrip module to autostart so it constantly redirect's him to nothing. Dnsspoofing also does not work when sslstrip is enabled, sslstrip must use some other form of dns lookup rather than checking the local pineapple.

Edited by Isolot

Isolot great find. I have a script that I use to erase folders off the thumb drive before re-installing sslstrip like you mentioned, I too believe the problem may be the opkg module because it seems to do the install faster than manually with ssh. and no errors are displayed in the text field so how would you know if it went wrong?

Weird :unsure: because the OPKG module uses the same opkg command to perform the installation. Also, the opkg update command is performed when the module is launched.

If you ssh to your pineapple, are you able to start sslstrip from the shell ? Do you have any error ?

But you're right: I will add a security to prevent the module trying to start sslstrip if it is not installed :)

Edited by Whistle Master

My setup:

I had setup tehtering incorectly on my mac; when I enabled sslstrip I packet stormed the device (Evident through a snort IDS system). Starting the tethering process over solved the problem

I have been able to reproduce this problem by conducting the following:

1) Upgrade to the latest firmware with memory stick plugged in

2) Install sslstrip to usb by the module only

3) Enable usb logging

4) Enable sslstrip

5) Interface dead.

The problems for me was:

1) The upgrade corrupted my memory stick so sslstrip and the usb logging couldn't install. When you turn sslstrip on the iptables redirects you to nothing. I reformatted the corrupted usb.

2) I have never had success with just installing sslstrip from the module. I always go to ssh and type:

- opkg update

- opkg install sslstrip --dest usb

Not sure if you are having the same issue but i don't get why the module cant run these commands when it works fine from ssh? Perhaps its a timing problem of the module trying to install sslstrip before the opkg update has finished properly? A fail safe for this would be not allowing the sslstrip module to turn on if sslstrip is not installed. Chaos may have set his sslstrip module to autostart so it constantly redirect's him to nothing. Dnsspoofing also does not work when sslstrip is enabled, sslstrip must use some other form of dns lookup rather than checking the local pineapple.

Im having the same exact issue as Isolot. Did anyone have a fix for this? Ive literally re-flashed like 3 times and finally narrowed it down to SSL strip not allowing me to access the web gui. Its literally as soon as I install logs to usb it goes all haywire.

Manually upgraded firmware.

installed to usb via ssh'ing into the pineapple.

then that does not show it is installed in the pineapple bar section so I complete the installation by installing the module to usb.

Even tried uninstalling sslstrip but that doesn't fix the problem. It seems that what ever the installation of SSLSTRIP does it changes a setting causing it to not work as it should.

I just managed to get it working. Thanks to petertfm I found that going to the opkgmanager and firstly installing php4-mod-session followed by SSL strip and lastly going to the pineapple bar and installing the sslstrip module to USB. This seemed to fix the issue and all works as it should. Hope it helps anyone else out there! So glad its all fine :)

Edited by killuminati