Wifi Pineapple In Europe

zbenta

Hi there you guys,

Has anyone ever bought and shipped it to Europe.

I live in Portugal and would love to purchase one of these, but the shipping costs and the customs would probably increase the price to double.

Is there any workaround for this?

It cost me €105 euros including shipping to Ireland. I didnt get caught for any duty.

PS, chose the cheapest shipping method and I still got it within 8 days. Ordered it on a Sat night and got it on the Monday of the following week.

Absolutely excellent service from all @ Hak5 so far !!

This is very good news.

I never bought anything form the US so I was a little bit scared of customs.

I think I'll give it a try.

It cost me €105 euros including shipping to Ireland. I didnt get caught for any duty.

PS, chose the cheapest shipping method and I still got it within 8 days. Ordered it on a Sat night and got it on the Monday of the following week.

that's awesome:-D

I live in Canada b.c and anything from the US takes at least 2 weeks if not more:-( lol

I must be lucky so. Actually this was the first time I ordered anythng online that came so quick, usually the stuff from UK takes a week too (you know who you are - Amazon)

What would be col if someone in Europe could resell them for Darren & Co, if they are reading this, tell us what you think. I know there would be many happy hak5 fans purchasing not only this but the accessories too, if there was a European centre too.

For the MK3 I bought an AP41 from germany (no import duty) and the flashed it myself. Bought the MK4 from Hak5 and it did take a little while... Just over a month till I received it. I think it was ~£15 duty to pay on it.

So in summary; don't be scared of buying from the US. Some naughty chaps have caused customs to take even longer than it used to - but there is a hell of a lot more stuff for you to choose from if you include the US as part of your shopping repertoire.

Yeah I had a similar experience - Ap51 direct from Germany, Mk IV from Hak5 took a month to arrive what really gripped me about the duty tho - the duty was calculated at approx £3 however the Royal Mail put a £9 handling charge on the duty!!!!

I have bought a PCB hornet from Crucialwifi without issue, really quick delivery and cheap shipping - the supplier refunded excess postage costs to my PayPal account! But the flashing process isn't as straightforward on the Mk IV as the mark III - I have found the parts at fairly lo-cost on EBay to flash. The other point with the PCB it doesn't have the familiar SMA connector for the antennae instead using a (ipx ?) connector more common with 3G dongles. So if you have existing antennas you may need a suitable 'pigtail' to interface.

I must be lucky so. Actually this was the first time I ordered anythng online that came so quick, usually the stuff from UK takes a week too (you know who you are - Amazon)

What would be col if someone in Europe could resell them for Darren & Co, if they are reading this, tell us what you think. I know there would be many happy hak5 fans purchasing not only this but the accessories too, if there was a European centre too.

I was Thinking exactly the same.

Why don't we propose him that?

Yeah I had a similar experience - Ap51 direct from Germany, Mk IV from Hak5 took a month to arrive what really gripped me about the duty tho - the duty was calculated at approx £3 however the Royal Mail put a £9 handling charge on the duty!!!!

I have bought a PCB hornet from Crucialwifi without issue, really quick delivery and cheap shipping - the supplier refunded excess postage costs to my PayPal account! But the flashing process isn't as straightforward on the Mk IV as the mark III - I have found the parts at fairly lo-cost on EBay to flash. The other point with the PCB it doesn't have the familiar SMA connector for the antennae instead using a (ipx ?) connector more common with 3G dongles. So if you have existing antennas you may need a suitable 'pigtail' to interface.

What about the AP121U 802.11n AP/Router Alfa Network from crucial wifi, would it be a good choice, does it come with openwrt firmware, is it easy to "upgrade" it to the markIV?

What about the AP121U 802.11n AP/Router Alfa Network from crucial wifi, would it be a good choice, does it come with openwrt firmware, is it easy to "upgrade" it to the markIV?

This is the route I went, worked out much cheaper for me. Bear in mind that to do this you will need to have a 3.3v UART to USB adaptor so that you can flash the firmware (as it does not come with openwrt on it). There is a step by step guide elsewhere on here for flashing the firmware onto an AP-121U, or Hornet-UB for that matter.

[edit] Here is the link to the guide, you need to follow the clean flash (serial) guide.[/edit]

Edited by battletux

hi all first post here I've got a AP121U running on 2.0 took a bit of messing about but I'll post how i did it and you can see if and where i could of done it better

I'm a noob at all of this so constructive help is welcome

got my router from crucial wifi

and used a ca-42 nokia cable to flash with putty on ubuntu 12.04 you have to add the serial to the dial up group

set up a tftp

fallowed the alfa instructions on how to flash the hornet board

i got a kernel panic something over vs root sync

rebooted it to option 2

then uploaded the upgrade.bin from the pineapple git hub

reboot

WIN!!

it worked

Edited by traxsboy

That one will work :) It can operate at both 3.3V and 5V, but i only use the TX-RX-GND and use the powerplug to power the pineapple ;)

Try this on ebay.co.uk 320908808912 £3.90 inc shipping. As WatskeBart said, only connect TX-RX-GND and use the powerplug to power the pineapple

Just ordered my AP from crucialwifi and asked them so send it with openwrt already installed.

I'm counting the days ...

They wouldnt do it for me hence I bought the £3.90 usb uart programmer - did you order the ap121u or the bare board?.

They wouldnt do it for me hence I bought the £3.90 usb uart programmer - did you order the ap121u or the bare board?.

I bought the AP and I'll try to install openwrt myself.

I also bought the usb uart programmer, I'm just waiting for everything to arrive.

For those in need of an USB-UART adapter, please notice that you can use your arduino for the same purpose, all you have to do is remove the atmega chip from the socket and there you have it.

I just realized this yesterday while viewing a video on youtube that talked about using the arduino to reprogram atmega chips.

If had know this earlier I wouldn't have purchased the adapter from ebay.

I hope this info helps people that have an arduino save a few €'s/$'s.

Edited by zbenta

Got my pineapple up and running,

Thanks to WatskeBart's tips and Mr.Protocol's video I've successfully flashed my pineapple.

Now I'll explore it's capabilities and audit my equipment.

Thanks to everyone else that also sent tips.

Im from the Netherlands. Shipping took me 5 (!!) days after I made the paypal payment. No customs/duty cost because they declared it as being only 30$... If you want to be 100% sure you dont get any custom extra's ASK HAK5 to declare it as a lower value. Easy as that. The reason you had to wait 30 days is because the customs took so long..

Hey man, nice to hear more people from the EU getting involved in this little project, i can't wait until all my parts arrive. I am building my own pineapple using the Hornet-UB, was going to just buy one but the time i might have to wait + customs put me off a bit, but it seems the majorty of people get it fairly quick, considering its coming from the states.

- Anton