Partitioning Ext4 Usb Drive For Markiv

telot

Pretty basic stuff, but I thought I'd stem a bunch of questions from the windows users or whatever with a quicky guide on partitioning a usb thumbdrive for use with the markIV.

Download BT5R1 and burn the .iso to a CD. I use deepburner in windows to accomplish this.

Put it in and boot it up and startx after logging in (uname/pass=root/toor)

Once your in the GUI open a terminal and type:

apt-get install gparted

Then, after its installed, plug in your thumbdrive and type:

gparted &

That will launch the creamy gui of gparted. From the top right dropdown menu select your thumb drive from the list and click the big center box that contains the drive size information. Then click "Delete" button on the top near the left. Then click the "New" button on the top far left. Select Primary and EXT4 from the drop downs. Click OK or whatever and then click "Apply" (the big green checkmark). Enjoy!

telot

Pretty basic stuff, but I thought I'd stem a bunch of questions from the windows users or whatever with a quicky guide on partitioning a usb thumbdrive for use with the markIV.

Download BT5R1 and burn the .iso to a CD. I use deepburner in windows to accomplish this.

Put it in and boot it up and startx after logging in (uname/pass=root/toor)

Once your in the GUI open a terminal and type:

apt-get install gparted

Then, after its installed, plug in your thumbdrive and type:

gparted &

That will launch the creamy gui of gparted. From the top right dropdown menu select your thumb drive from the list and click the big center box that contains the drive size information. Then click "Delete" button on the top near the left. Then click the "New" button on the top far left. Select Primary and EXT4 from the drop downs. Click OK or whatever and then click "Apply" (the big green checkmark). Enjoy!

telot

!!!!WARNING!!!!

Make sure you select your usb thumb drive!!

You have been warned.

:D

!!!!WARNING!!!!

Make sure you select your usb thumb drive!!

You have been warned.

:D

Haha I came back to edit my post to add this, but you did a fantastic job! So no need! Thanks Barry

And thank you for reminding me - downloading R2 now :)

telot

Haha I came back to edit my post to add this, but you did a fantastic job! So no need! Thanks Barry

And thank you for reminding me - downloading R2 now :)

telot

The "I can't boot windows" new post on the backtrack forums made me do it. :lol:

I just did an apt-get dist-upgrade, aaand it booted!! B)

Have the four normal versions of BT4r2 running on my torrent server.

Edited by barry99705

Thanks telot!

Well put together.

worked the first time!

Nice info, thanks Telot!! Hoping that Darren and crew can sort out how to get the Alcatel 760 3G to provide both 3G *AND* the USB Flash Drive capabilities! Two birds, one USB port! :)

The "I can't boot windows" new post on the backtrack forums made me do it. :lol:

I just did an apt-get dist-upgrade, aaand it booted!! B)

Have the four normal versions of BT4r2 running on my torrent server.

---OffTopic---

Barry: Do you mean that you did an "apt-get dist-upgrade" in BT5R1 to upgrade your BT5R1 to BT5R2?

I'd LOVE if if that were the case...don't want to reinstall it, I'm still doing a LOT of learning with BT/Linux...it'd be less stressful if that were the case, as I'm dual-booting BT5R1 and Win7

---OnTopic---

Sorry about that, we now return you to your regularly scheduled topic! ;)

---OffTopic---

Barry: Do you mean that you did an "apt-get dist-upgrade" in BT5R1 to upgrade your BT5R1 to BT5R2?

I'd LOVE if if that were the case...don't want to reinstall it, I'm still doing a LOT of learning with BT/Linux...it'd be less stressful if that were the case, as I'm dual-booting BT5R1 and Win7

I installed a fresh BT5 R2 because I messed a bit with R1 and wanted to start over.

One thing i noticed from when I started a fresh copy oposed to when i updated from R1 to R2 is: my newer intel wireless card in the nettop is now recognized and seems to support injection.

I installed a fresh BT5 R2 because I messed a bit with R1 and wanted to start over.

One thing i noticed from when I started a fresh copy oposed to when i updated from R1 to R2 is: my newer intel wireless card in the nettop is now recognized and seems to support injection.

BONUS! Thats great luck petertfm!

hfam: Yes you can just upgrade it:

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/backtrack/upgrading-to-backtrack-5-r2/

Swoot new kernel!

PS: I dont mind the offtopic one bit - this was just a one-off post really :)

telot

Nice info, thanks Telot!! Hoping that Darren and crew can sort out how to get the Alcatel 760 3G to provide both 3G *AND* the USB Flash Drive capabilities! Two birds, one USB port! :)

---OffTopic---

---OnTopic---

Sorry about that, we now return you to your regularly scheduled topic! ;)

Yea, I meant BT5r2.... :rolleyes:

Sure now you guys come out with this. Spent a bunch of time yesterday getting a usb drive to work. Mines working but I used EXT2 over 4. (Saw Darren's post about ext4 after the fact, so 2 works also)

On a side note any MFG make colored micro SD cards? Easier to tell who's who. I've been painting the edge/tab, but it comes off.

Thanks fellas!! I'm gonna try the upgrade first to save some effort, if it.doesn't recognize.all my gear.ill do the clean reinstall, thanks again for all the feedback!

Off to make some EXT4 flash drives, thanks Telot.

eta: sorry about the spelling, periods, etc...I'm not a window licker, its this damn Kindle Fire kbd layout! ;)

An alternative for the micro-sd's and the readers could be the nano drives - I found a bunch in different colors but you might not get to the larger capacities yet. http://www.cyberguys.com/product-search/?keyword=nano+usb for examples. I've only seen the micro's in black. I guess they assume they're fitting inside of devices so why bother with colors.