Mk4 - No Internet For Pwnt Targets

hfam

So, you are saying that for any target to get internet, it must flow through a ICS enabled laptop or run off of a usb cell dongle?

Why then does the pineapple have a lan/wan port?

Yes.

The hardware isn't designed around the MK4, it's the other way around.

The LAN/WAN port is used in the flashing process of the factory OS, but beyond that, it's not used on the MK4...at least at this time.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It could easily be configured to do so. Simply edit your network config. Simple, really.

BUT if you mess up there is a chance that you lock yourself out. So make sure you are on the latest 1.0.1 firmware so that you can use the reset button.

And even then, be careful what you change.

Best,

Sebkinne

OK.

Sorry.

Once I setup the ICS it worked great. I was confused in thinking that the device had a default design to pass the WAN/LAN through to the targets.

Feel like a dork but appreciate the assistance. Possibly this might be made clear in documentation, if more than just I have this issue?

I'm still learning this so be kind.

I updated to 1.0.1 but any device connecting to the pineapple still can't get to the internet. I have tried ICS and using two different usb air cards but no luck. The devices are getting IP addresses and can see the gateway but can't get beyond it. I do see that no IP is listed under the interfaces for USB 3G or LAN but I have that gateway address for the POE. Not sure what I am missing in my setup.

I'm still learning this so be kind.

I updated to 1.0.1 but any device connecting to the pineapple still can't get to the internet. I have tried ICS and using two different usb air cards but no luck. The devices are getting IP addresses and can see the gateway but can't get beyond it. I do see that no IP is listed under the interfaces for USB 3G or LAN but I have that gateway address for the POE. Not sure what I am missing in my setup.

The key for me finding my issues, was looking at the IP table and checking the IPs that the clients get. In trying to document the issue, you might find the solution.

Thay are all getting 172.16.42.x addresses.

I see you have 3G enabled, but you refer to the 42.42 address on PoE interface.

If you've got ICS setup on a laptop (42.42), and you're plugged into the PoE port (42.1) with the laptop, the problem may be that you've got all the 3G stuff turned on as well.

- Make sure your ICS is setup correctly (laptop ethx port is set to 172.16.42.42)

- Reboot the MK4

- don't turn on anything but Karma

Now connect up some clients and see if it resolves the issue.

- Can you ping 42.42 from your clients connecting to the MK4?

- Can you then ping 8.8.8.8 (or any other external IPs?)

I've a feeling that it's the 3G stuff turned on, as well as having teh PoE port servin up ICS that's the issue.

stab in the dark...give it a try.

I see you have 3G enabled, but you refer to the 42.42 address on PoE interface.

If you've got ICS setup on a laptop (42.42), and you're plugged into the PoE port (42.1) with the laptop, the problem may be that you've got all the 3G stuff turned on as well.

- Make sure your ICS is setup correctly (laptop ethx port is set to 172.16.42.42)

- Reboot the MK4

- don't turn on anything but Karma

Now connect up some clients and see if it resolves the issue.

- Can you ping 42.42 from your clients connecting to the MK4?

- Can you then ping 8.8.8.8 (or any other external IPs?)

I've a feeling that it's the 3G stuff turned on, as well as having teh PoE port servin up ICS that's the issue.

stab in the dark...give it a try.

I'll try that when I get home. The screen shots are from when I was only using 3G and had ics off.

oooo.la.la! Penfold! I've got it!

So the 'hot-fix' works for me as well. Curious about the update.bin, however. Will this enable me to use firewall features? Or, do I have to keep it disabled for pwnt clients to access internet?

Thanks to those who created this tool, and to those who contribute to these forums. You have helped me, and I'm thankful.

Condor,

Upgrades we release are important because they fix bugs and add new features.

Some of them are quite critical.

The firewall features are gone from 1.0.1 up though.

I see how that may stop you from wanting to upgrade.

What do you need the firewall for? Maybe I can get something working?

Best,

Sebkinne

Seb,

For control. I am contemplating using the device @ home to control my 11 year old daughters web_viewing habits :P.

I have an old Dell desktop loaded w/ slaxrouter, but I use it as a GenII honeywall for another project I am working on....

Can't have any un-needed traffic, for obvious honeyPot reasons.

The possible functions I can get this 'pineapple' to do seems endless.....

Hi Guys

I have my MK4 configured so the WAN connection is connected direct into my home network for internet access, not using ICS or USB. From the Pineapple interface I can ping www.google.com and tracert etc and all resolves OK. Default route on the pineapple is my home router (192.x.x.x).

However, when I connect a client via wifi or LAN, it gets DHCP on 172.16.x.x can ping 172.16.42.1 and resolve DNS to www.google.com (no ping), however, it will not browse the internet.

This config was working ok on 1.0.0 but seems to have stopped since upgrading to 1.0.2.

Should I be able to use a direct connection to my home internet or do I need to use ICS or USB?

From the pineapple all looks OK, it just seems the clients can not get to the internet.

The pineapple is looking for an internet address @ 172.16.42.42 by default with it's gateway 172.16.42.1 which is why it assigns addresses in the range 172.16.42.x

This can be changed in the config files, though. CAREFUL

Edited by condor

The pineapple is looking for an internet address @ 172.16.42.42 by default with it's gateway 172.16.42.1 which is why it assigns addresses in the range 172.16.42.x

This can be changed in the config files, though. CAREFUL

Not really an "Internet Address" because the 172.16.42.42 is in the unroutable range.

The IP address of the pineapple is 172.16.42.1 and the gateway for the pineapple by default is 172.16.42.42 (your laptop for ICS).

The gateway for the wireless clients on the other hand will be 172.16.42.1

1st post, noublesse obligue, i love u all guys.

can't figure it out yet, trying in windowz though.

* running 1.0.2

* ICS enabled: main box connected to my Wireless AP and with the MK VI on Ethernet (with IPv4 set to 42.42) ... I'm able to surf the web and to access the Pineapple CC just fine.

* then, only activating Karma, client connects fine, I'm able to ping 42.42 from the client, the default "redirect" script works, etc.

but no love yet, for the web, that is.

Hi Guys

I have my MK4 configured so the WAN connection is connected direct into my home network for internet access, not using ICS or USB. From the Pineapple interface I can ping www.google.com and tracert etc and all resolves OK. Default route on the pineapple is my home router (192.x.x.x).

However, when I connect a client via wifi or LAN, it gets DHCP on 172.16.x.x can ping 172.16.42.1 and resolve DNS to www.google.com (no ping), however, it will not browse the internet.

This config was working ok on 1.0.0 but seems to have stopped since upgrading to 1.0.2.

Should I be able to use a direct connection to my home internet or do I need to use ICS or USB?

From the pineapple all looks OK, it just seems the clients can not get to the internet.

It's a routed port, you'll need to NAT.

NAT isn't enabled. I've noticed this device takes a while after issuing this command for any "established" traffic to start NATing.

root@Pineapple:~# iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o wlan0 -s 172.16.42.0 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
root@Pineapple:~# iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
root@Pineapple:~# iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j MASQUERADE

I'm connected right now in the exact way you described having trouble with, running 1.02 firmware. (Connected to WiFi SSID Pineapple, LAN/POE connected to home Ethernet.

iptables aren't persistent across reboots unless saved; issue iptables-save

PatriceKing: Are you using the DNS Spoof and trying to get clients onto the internet at the same time? If you have the redirect script set up with the wildcard (*) every client will be sent to that instead of the internet.

it's me again...

still can't get clients to the web.

@iamk3 ... now I get your reply. But no, the DNS Spoof Service was never active.

I believe I'm making mistakes when configuring ICS.

From my main box I'm able to access the web using my usual wifi connection and also the MkIV Control Center (I'm connected to it via eth) and I'm able to Ping 42.42 from the clients.

I have ICS enabled on eth and IPv4 Address is 172.16.42.42 / Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0 / Default Gateway <empty_here>

and right there I'm kinda lost...

My Network connections are:

Local Area Connection: pineapple, shared

Wireless Network Connection: RTL8176, [MyISP]

I know I'm doing something wrong with the ICS... I tried different things on my eth and then rebooting the MkIV... and so on... but no luck yet...

Help! and Thanks

*** next time I'll try without doing the laundry at the same time

Edited by PatriceKing

Eliminate the OS.

Boot to Linux - Ubuntu Live distro or whatever. BT5

Connect to your WiFi network.

Download and run the wp4.sh script.

(read the script so you know what it does)

If still can't connect, make sure your pineapple has a default route (you'll see at the end of the script, there's a section on this.

So, if your PC can get out to the Internet, and your Pineapple can, then you have a routing issue.

PatriceKing: I'm not quite sure what the problem you are having is. It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. Try issuing the following commands:

/etc/init.d/firewall disable; /etc/init.d/firewall stop and see if that has any effect. Maybe for some reason, it didn't take effect when you flashed to the 1.0.2 firmware.

and right there I'm kinda lost...

My Network connections are:

Local Area Connection: pineapple, shared

Wireless Network Connection: RTL8176, [MyISP]

Hi, I think you have the share around the wrong way. You should be sharing the network card that is the connection to the internet. In your case it is the Wireless RLT8176. The local connection that is going to the pineapple should not be shared. Thats how mine is set up on Windows 7.

I had my connection working today at my place of employment. Now at home I cannot get everything connected using the same process. I am using the wp4 script for my settings but it seems it isn't working for some reason. I have a connection to my wireless router but as soon as I run the script I loose internet access. The internet gateway in the script should be the IP address of my laptop, correct? Once I run the script and then try to ping a website if fails and shows that it is using the pineapple lan when it should be using my in house wifi, correct? When I run the the script the default IP address offered for the intenet gateway is 192.168.0.254 which is the gateway for the wireless network. If I select this I have internet access on the laptop but not on the pineappple.

Thanks for the help

jim@Typhoon:~$ sudo ./wp4.sh

Input Pineapple Netmask [or ENTER for 255.255.255.0]:

Input Pineapple Network [or ENTER for 172.16.42.0/24]:

Input Interface between PC and Pineapple [or ENTER for eth0]:

Input Interface between PC and Internet [or ENTER for wlan0]:

Input Internet Gateway [or ENTER for 192.168.0.254]: 192.168.0.6

Input IP Address of Host PC [or ENTER for 172.16.42.42]:

Input IP Address of Pineapple [or ENTER for 172.16.42.1]:

Pineapple connected to: eth0

Internet connection from: wlan0

Internet connection gateway: 192.168.0.6

Host Computer IP: 172.16.42.42

Pineapple IP: 172.16.42.1

Network: 172.16.42.0/24

Netmask: 255.255.255.0

IP Forwarding enabled. /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward set to 1

iptables chains and rules cleared

IP Forwarding Enabled

Default route removed

Pineapple Default Gateway Configured

PING 172.16.42.1 (172.16.42.1) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- 172.16.42.1 ping statistics ---

3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2017ms

jim@Typhoon:~$ ping www.yahoo.com

PING any-fp3-real.wa1.b.yahoo.com (209.191.122.70) 56(84) bytes of data.

From Pineapple.lan (172.16.42.1): icmp_seq=2 Redirect Host(New nexthop: 172.16.42.42)

From Pineapple.lan (172.16.42.1) icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable

From Pineapple.lan (172.16.42.1) icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable

^CFrom Pineapple.lan (172.16.42.1): icmp_seq=3 Redirect Host(New nexthop: 172.16.42.42)

--- any-fp3-real.wa1.b.yahoo.com ping statistics ---

3 packets transmitted, 0 received, +2 errors, 100% packet loss, time 6014ms

pipe 3

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:19:d2:48:52:be

inet addr:192.168.0.6

So it seems my problem is even though I am using the wp4.sh, the configuration of eth0 is not happening. When I look at ifconfig eth0 it shows an IP address of 172.16.42.224, this also shows in the pineapple (see attachment). If I issue the commands "sudo ifconfig eth0 down" then "sudo ifconfig eth0 172.16.42.42 netmask 255.255.255.0 up" the IP address doesn't change. If I go into the Ubuntu system settings to change the ip address everything works.

Am I doing something wrong with the wp4.sh?

post-39152-0-47973900-1331914619_thumb.p