Rasberry Pi - Tiny Pc No Bigger Than A Usb Drive

exup

Hi

I think this would have great potential for lots of projects due to its size, and low power plus its cheap.

A ultra small PC no bigger than a USB key, running ARM processor and Ubuntu and less than $25 US

Facts are a bit limited and it very early days but check out the (brief) web site and email them if you are interested. There are also a few You Tube videos kicking around.

Still need an external mouse KB and monitor and no wifi or ethernet (yet) but if you set it up to run headless it would be pretty cool for the odd weird project.

I am certainly going to buy one or two and do away with bigger PC's running all day for maintenance type work.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Cheers.

Very nice project in deed, it could become handy for a lot of things.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I would have made them a little bigger and added ps2 ports for keyboard and mouse.(I dislike USB keyboards and mice.) I think it would be horrible trying to sort through cables to find the computer. A computer the size of most routers seems like the best idea for a mini PC to me.

Hopefully we will be able to get our hands on them. I would love to get one running a BBC emulator playing elite. :)

That would be ironic indeed as the guys behind the ARM processor built the BBC micro! -Did you see "Micro Men"?

That would be ironic indeed as the guys behind the ARM processor built the BBC micro! -Did you see "Micro Men"?

More ironic, as the guy behind the Rasberry Pi, wrote Elite for the BBC micro :)

Oh, and "Micro Men" is great. Though it does make me very nostalgic when watching it.

Ha yes I did watch it. Very good program, I didn't realise how big the UK was in setting the trend for pc development.

I was a zx spectrum 64k user. Taught myself basic must have been 12 at the time. Thought I wouldn't make a career out of computers (doh).

I still have the complete series BBC micro live. The closing credits did not have music but actual machine code which you could tape and upload to your computer. (early internet or was that ceefax) ah them were the days......

woah BBC micro now thats old skool .... i was rockin an acorn electron @ the time BBC micro owners were my nemesis ! (much like the mac vs pc debate)

sorry if i bought this up from the dead lol

• 1 month later...

Good news they replied and they are still ploughing ahead with the project and included Ethernet as an option.

Sounds like it is going to be the size of a credit card.

Plus "We'll be offering a version with built in 10/100 Ethernet, hub and

extra RAM for a $5-10 cost adder."

Plus I think some additional interface capability to add peripherals (camera?)

Anyway here is the updated site with a bit of info.

Plus sign up to their newsletter if you want to be in on the first post production models.

http://www.raspberrypi.org

I am getting excited.......