Requested Comments On My Project

Crumbles

So, I've been a hak5 fan for a while, although I don't post that often.

I wanted to ask what you guys thought about a project I have been working on, and maybe give me some ideas on it. I basically tried to combine several single use websites into one (ie - tinyurl, ipchicken, imageshack, etc.)

I even got disposable email working! Anyway, please give me ideas or what you like and don't like. If you can think of another single use website to add, then let me know.

All feedback (good and bad) requested. Thanks!

http://1dl.us

I think its a great idea on what tools you offer, but maybe the site lacks a better interface, and maybe some instruction on each sections use a bit more. I think if the services work as described, then concentrate on your gui a bit and add some more details on how to use the tools in each section, and that should really round it out a bit more. The easier it is to use, and easier to navigate, the better the user experience will be, so long as all the services you offer are working.

Damn! I love it man, shoot I'd buy it from ya if I had the cash.

+1. That's a great idea you have going there. Heck I just wish you could inlay a photo upload and paste to/from imageshack.com. Now that would be Killer! for me anyways.

Great idea, and great GUI imo. :)

I got some ideas of my own, I would like to share with you

1. Password generating tool

2. Password cracking tool

3. A page with hacking tools you can think of, ready to be downloaded.

4. A proxy service, where users can surf anonymously and securely. (phpproxy, glype)

That's all I can think for the moment. Apart from that, great work, keep it up dude.

Edited by Infiltrator

I got some ideas of my own, I would like to share with you

1. Password generating tool

2. Password cracking tool

3. A page with hacking tools you can think of, ready to be downloaded.

4. A proxy service, where users can surf anonymously and securely. (phpproxy, glype)

That's all I can think for the moment. Apart from that, great work, keep it up dude.

I'm sure I could add a PW generating tool, and possibly a cracking tool (maybe like a hash checker, etc.)

We are working on setting up doing a few things that I'm pretty excited about.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'm going to give the site a few years and see how much it takes off, so help me spread the word around! :)

Just know that some sites get blocked by filters based on the fact that they offer known proxy services such as phproxy. I know my work used to block any proxy service, so if you want people to be able to reach the rest of your site just something to consider. Now, VPN service on the other hand might be a nice option, and something you may be able to charge for to recoup bandwidth and hosting fees.

Damn, well, lifehacker.com had us scrambling. We have done some major performance tweaks that we "thought" might be an issue if we ever got a lot of traffic. Apparently it was. In addition to the performance tweaks, we are dedicating more resources to the box so this _hopefully_ won't happen again.

If you made it onto lifehacker, then you got it made! As for the proxy mentioned above, mabye you would want to link to a proxy that is on a different page, since A. If you are using a proxy, you would want to see your whole page in its own window or tab, not in a tab like the other features are, and B. schools and workplaces that have webfilters often block proxies, since it offers a way to bypass their features. This way if that happens, users can still use the rest of your tools. as for a GUI layout, look at igoogle.com, and how it has it's web widgets. if you can reformat yours like that, and even have a button that expands one widget to a larger size, overlaying the other ones, it could definitely become many, many more people's favorite site.

Speaking of google, you could create some google search boxes that work as shortcuts for some of the more advanced search tools google has to offer, like its synonym search

PS: if you happen to track your website with google analytics, i'd love to see what happened at the time it was posted on lifehacker

Edited by eovnu87435ds

Warning: Division by zero in /home/crumbles/a2-1dl.us/includes/imgresize.php on line 77

I made it divide by zero, do i win?

but apart from this nice site :) and a nice well cut GUI.

Ha! Yea, that was actually a bug in our code! We currently only allow JPG and GIF uploads. Our code was _supposed_ to not allow other formats (bmp, png, txt, exe, etc.) But for some reason it was, and throwing a PHP error. This has been fixed.

If you made it onto lifehacker, then you got it made! As for the proxy mentioned above, mabye you would want to link to a proxy that is on a different page, since A. If you are using a proxy, you would want to see your whole page in its own window or tab, not in a tab like the other features are, and B. schools and workplaces that have webfilters often block proxies, since it offers a way to bypass their features. This way if that happens, users can still use the rest of your tools. as for a GUI layout, look at igoogle.com, and how it has it's web widgets. if you can reformat yours like that, and even have a button that expands one widget to a larger size, overlaying the other ones, it could definitely become many, many more people's favorite site.

Speaking of google, you could create some google search boxes that work as shortcuts for some of the more advanced search tools google has to offer, like its synonym search

PS: if you happen to track your website with google analytics, i'd love to see what happened at the time it was posted on lifehacker

We have a bunch of emails from people with some really good suggestions and tweaks. A lot of the tweaks were head smackers. Stuff we should have thought of. Like the google search box being focused automatically when the page loads, etc.

Our traffic was _INSANE_ - We are not using G.A. because we aren't a big fan of it. Our site was stressed for about 2 hours yesterday so we don't have great reporting for the whole day. We are getting a constant stream of traffic now which is great. The word of mouth is proving to be working. Lifehacker was really helped us get our start. As of right now, our traffic is still pretty good. So, fingers crossed!

Just know that some sites get blocked by filters based on the fact that they offer known proxy services such as phproxy. I know my work used to block any proxy service, so if you want people to be able to reach the rest of your site just something to consider. Now, VPN service on the other hand might be a nice option, and something you may be able to charge for to recoup bandwidth and hosting fees.

Kind of knew that web based proxies were not that effective any more and VPN services would be optimum choice.