[Guide] Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop from ISO

Netshroud

Download Ubuntu

(I have only tested this with 32-bit, but 64-bit should work.)

Booting Ubuntu from an ISO is really easy. Just place the ISO on your USB, and point your config file to it. I put it in /boot/iso, but if you put it somewhere different, remember to change the location in 'map' and 'kernel' (Grub4DOS), or in 'loopback' and 'linux' (Grub2)

For persistence, add "persistent" (without the quotes) into the kernel or linux line, and place a casper-rw file in the root of your USB drive.

Note: The ISO file must be contiguous, or not fragmented. You can bypass this with the --mem option, which loads the ISO to memory, however it takes 'forever' on large ISO files. I use contig.exe from Sysinternals to make the ISO contiguous.

Grub4DOS:

title Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop x86
map /boot/iso/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/boot/iso/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso quiet splash locale=en.UTF-8 --
initrd /casper/initrd.gz

Grub2:

menuentry "Ubuntu Desktop x86" {
  loopback loop /boot/iso/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso
  linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/boot/iso/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso quiet splash locale=en.UTF-8 --
  initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.gz
  }

This will not work under SysLinux or Grub Legacy, as they do not support ISO mapping.

map --mem /boot/iso/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso (0xff)

map --hook

root (0xff)

kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/boot/iso/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso quiet splash locale=en.UTF-8 --

initrd /casper/initrd.gz

P.S. do i need casper-rw? if so where do i get it and how to i install it

it comes up with, BusyBox v1.10.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.10.2-2ubuntu7) built-in shell (ash) , why is this??

map --mem /boot/iso/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso (0xff)

map --hook

root (0xff)

initrd /casper/initrd.gz

P.S. do i need casper-rw? if so where do i get it and how to i install it

I'm having the same problem too, and i also have the exact same config. <_<

You only need casper-rw for persistence. You can make a casper-rw file from the link I provided in the original post.

I dont see why that config wouldn't work. Does your ISO's MD5 checksum match the one provided by Canonical/Ubuntu?

the same ubuntu iso works in a vm. "[ 15.040359] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through" thats when i pull and put back in the usb key. P.S. its an acer aspire one d-150 if that helps

Download Ubuntu

(I have only tested this with 32-bit, but 64-bit should work.)

Booting Ubuntu from an ISO is really easy. Just place the ISO on your USB, and point your config file to it. I put it in /boot/iso, but if you put it somewhere different, remember to change the location in 'map' and 'kernel' (Grub4DOS), or in 'loopback' and 'linux' (Grub2)

For persistence, add "persistent" (without the quotes) into the kernel or linux line, and place a casper-rw file in the root of your USB drive.

Note: The ISO file must be contiguous, or not fragmented. You can bypass this with the --mem option, which loads the ISO to memory, however it takes 'forever' on large ISO files. I use contig.exe from Sysinternals to make the ISO contiguous.

Grub4DOS:

map /boot/iso/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
initrd /casper/initrd.gz

Grub2:

menuentry "Ubuntu Desktop x86" {
  loopback loop /boot/iso/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso
  linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/boot/iso/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso quiet splash locale=en.UTF-8 --
  initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.gz
  }

This will not work under SysLinux or Grub Legacy, as they do not support ISO mapping.

How do I get the iso continuouse using wincontig? cant find any tutorials on this

How do I get the iso continuouse using wincontig? cant find any tutorials on this

Copy Contig.exe to C:\WINDOWS\system32\

Go to Start and then Run...

Type in "cmd"

In the black box, type "X:" where 'X' is your flash drives drive letter in windows explorer

Type "contig -s" and wait for it to complete.

It may take a while depending on how many files, how big they are, how fragmented they are, your USB's transfer rate, and the performance of your computer in general. Don't unplug your drive while it's still running.