Unable to authenticate as client on wlan1 on open/secured networks

Rakim

Hi,

I am running pinneaple 2.8.0.

I am unable to join as a client to my AP:

Apr 21 21:07:55 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 3345.130000] wlan1: authenticate with
Apr 21 21:07:55 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 3345.310000] wlan1: send auth to (try 1/3)
Apr 21 21:07:58 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 3348.350000] wlan1: send auth to (try 2/3)
Apr 21 21:08:00 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 3350.310000] wlan1: deauthenticating from by local choice (reason=3)
Apr 21 21:08:01 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 3351.630000] wlan1: authenticate with
Apr 21 21:08:01 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 3351.790000] wlan1: send auth to (try 1/3)

This sequence is in a loop, it cannot authenticate to the AP even when it's an open network.

As per previous threads, I have checked the network manager settings and everything was set up correctly on my side. My main router/wifi AP sees the mac address of the pinneaple wlan1 and has IP assigned to it however it is unable to ping the IP assigned to wlan1 on pineapple and pinneaple status shows no wlans associated and no Ip addresses for wlan1.

I have tried setting the WLAN 1 ssid/pwd via iwconfig, wireless script and network manager, the log always showed the same issue as shown before.

I have just one wpa_supplicant process running, wifi interface settings look good/reflect those in network manager.

Any ideas on what to check?

Thanks.

Rakim

What adapter did you use? I had problems using the hak shop adapter, and my H adapter worked.

I skipped the manager infusion as i couldn't get that working and I did it manually. (I think the interface o the manager is a bit unintuitive.)

You can try that too and use wpa_supplicant with the -dd (and no -B) option, to debug the connection.

Have you put your AP info in wpa_supplicant.conf?

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. I am using Alfa NHA usb adapter.

wpa_supplicant has my AP and pre-shared and is able to read it.

Ihave done a lot of testing in the past couple of days and my findings are:

I am able to authenticate as a client using wlan1 if the wifi is open, wep or wpa.

However, no wpa2 connections were established, I have tried various complexity of pre-shared keys but still no dice:

This is the log from it:

Apr 22 18:34:32 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 5046.180000] wlan1: send auth to XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (try 1/3)
Apr 22 18:34:33 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 5047.870000] wlan1: send auth to XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (try 2/3)
Apr 22 18:34:33 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 5047.880000] wlan1: authenticated
Apr 22 18:34:33 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 5047.890000] wlan1: associate with XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (try 1/3)
Apr 22 18:34:33 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 5047.890000] wlan1: RX AssocResp from XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (capab=0x411 status=0 aid=2)
Apr 22 18:34:33 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 5047.910000] wlan1: associated
Apr 22 18:34:33 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 5047.910000] wlan1: disassociating from XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX by local choice (reason=3)

I either get this or this kind of log when try wpa2:

Apr 21 21:07:55 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 3345.130000] wlan1: authenticate with
Apr 21 21:07:55 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 3345.310000] wlan1: send auth to XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (try 1/3)
Apr 21 21:07:58 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 3348.350000] wlan1: send auth to XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (try 2/3)
Apr 21 21:08:00 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 3350.310000] wlan1: deauthenticating from XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX by local choice (reason=3)
Apr 21 21:08:01 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 3351.630000] wlan1: authenticate with XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
Apr 21 21:08:01 Pineapple kern.info kernel: [ 3351.790000] wlan1: send auth to (try 1/3).
Any ideas/hints/fixes?

Can you please enlighten me on how did you set it up manually?

Thanks.

Rakim

I am also having this problem. I am not able to connect to open or protected APs. The adapter I am using is the Alfa NHA on firmware 2.8.0. I have tried using the network manager infusion, iwconfig and editing /etc/config/wireless. Sometimes, maybe once every 50 tries I can connect to an open AP. I am also getting deauthenticating from XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX by local choice (reason=3).

Update:

I downgraded to 2.7.4 and was able to connect without a problem. After upgrading back to 2.8.0 I am having the same issue.

Edited by SymPak

Same exact problem here. I have tried absolutely everything. Scoured the OpenWRT documentation. Added and removed every option possible in my /etc/config/wireless;network;and firewall. Played with the hostapd/pid/wpa_supplicant in /var/run, edited the /etc/defconfig/network file. Then I flash back to 2.7.7, set up my /etc/config/wireless and network files and it works flawlessly right from the jump with no scripts or infusions needed. I flash back and use all the same configurations and it absolutely will not work. I've have my wpa_supplicant.conf in /etc/. I used all the connect scripts on here, Tried with and without Network Manager, it's been drivin me nuts. Probly wasted like 60-80 hours flashing/reflashing/setting up/configuring in the past cpl weeks.I have the NHA from the hakshop too. On 2.7.7 it works flawlessly. But on 2.8.0 there's something that's absolutely blocking it from associating. I found kernel panic=3 in (i think it was the preinit file) and tried using it to get to the bottom of it but i've hit a brick wall with it. If anybody has any insight about what changes in 2.8.0 could possibly be causing this you would be helping out tremendously. Otherwise I guess I'm just gonna have to stick with 2.7.7 until the next firmware.

I've figured out that on 2.8.0 radio0 connects perfectly to my wpa2 network. Is there any reason not to use wlan0 for wan and wlan1 for lan? Will there be any sort of sacrifice in functionality setting it up that way like karma, sslstrip, urlsnarf, or anything else reliant on radio0 running in AP mode?

Wlan1 is also connecting perfectly for me on 2.7.7. I never thought to test wlan0 on 2.8.0, ill give that a shot later! And as far as I know karma only works on wlan0.

Ah so that's the catch. Yeah wlan0 will work for you. It's pointless though if Karma doesn't work. It feels like some kind of driver issue even though wlan1 works fine as an AP. I'm pretty positive it has nothing to do with any network settings because I have tried EVERYTHING! I just got my pineapple 2 weeks ago with no prior OpenWRT experience and now I can setup my wireless connections from scratch with no scripts or infusions in 3 minutes just from researching this issue. I'm hoping there's some sort of workaround like maybe a different driver for the NHA we can install from the repo. It sucks since the only reason i have the NHA is i bought the Pineapple Elite Pack. If i could figure out how to get the WPS button/Button Infusion to work with 2.7.7 it wouldn't be AS stressful. Hopefully one of the more Elite members with more experience can shed some light on one of these issue's or a bandaid to use til 3.0 goes into Beta Testing. Even if some1 knows how to make the Pineapple function properly with wlan0/phy0/radio0 as wan and wlan1/phy1/radio1 as lan would be very helpful...

• 2 weeks later...

Just so everyone knows. I've been on beta firmware 2.8.1 and I am now able to connect to wpa/wpa2 Secured wifi networks with an Alfa awus036h external wifi radio. I haven't tried with a powered usb hub, would imagine it should still work, but will test.

• 2 months later...