Need help with installing the Jasager firmware on a AP121U loaded with the default Alfa firmware.

Smerk

Unfortunately, Instead of buying the Pre-Flashed Pineapple IV, I had to buy an AP121U with the default Alfa firmware loaded on it due to the fact I live in the UK and If I tried to buy a preflashed device off the Hak5 shop, the postage to England was extortionately high (48$!).

Updating the firmware to the Jasager build isn't as easy as I expected! I have tried uploading the firmware through the routers UI however it doesn't seem to work.

If anyone is be able to give me some advice on what to do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Smerk,

You are right - if you have an AP121U with the ALFA firmware there is nothing you can do to make it simple.

You will need to purchase a serial adapter and follow the clean-flash instructions on our website.

I should say, that if you get stock OpenWRT shipped with your unit you can telnet + SSH into it. Sadly, Alfa doesn't seem to be selling those anymore, they ship the devices with their own, locked down firmware.

Hi Smerk,

You are right - if you have an AP121U with the ALFA firmware there is nothing you can do to make it simple.

You will need to purchase a serial adapter and follow the clean-flash instructions on our website.

I should say, that if you get stock OpenWRT shipped with your unit you can telnet + SSH into it. Sadly, Alfa doesn't seem to be selling those anymore, they ship the devices with their own, locked down firmware.

Thanks for the prompt response, could you recommend a serial adapter for me? Also, do you know how I can easily open up the device to expose the board?

Cheers.

Edited by Smerk

Thanks for the prompt response, could you recommend a serial adapter for me? Also, do you know how I can easily open up the device to expose the board?

Cheers.

Search the forum for the adapter (or the wiki). The pro's and con's of them have been discussed in details here.

In terms of opening it up, it has two screws at the bottom (front). They may be hidden under the rubber feet.

Edit: I know that the one the Hakshop carries will work great!

Search the forum for the adapter (or the wiki). The pro's and con's of them have been discussed in details here.

In terms of opening it up, it has two screws at the bottom (front). They may be hidden under the rubber feet.

Edit: I know that the one the Hakshop carries will work great!

I've just ordered this, hopefully it should work. I'm just reading through the Clean Flash instructions however I don't understand how to setup a TFTP. It also refers to the device as the "pineapple" throughout, does this mean that it wont work for the normal Alfa router with the default firmware?