Usb Hub Powered By Wifi Pineapple

artifact

As this is my first post I will just quickly say hello to everyone. I have been on these forums before and it has a great community.

Now for my question.

I've purchased my pineapple few weeks ago and what I am trying to do is create a device that I am able to control it via wireless. Stick it in my bag and forget about it. I've done all the necessary configuration but I have a quick question regarding my USB powered hub.

I have purchased this hub. It has 7 ports rather than 4 but it's pretty much the same.

I connect my pineapple to a battery powerpack through a DC cable and then connect the HUB to my pineapple via USB.

What happens is that the pineapple seems to be powering the HUB and all the peripheral devices attached to it. Everything works fine.

I am just wondering whether this is the correct way of doing it and can the pineapple be damaged in any way?

You can see the current setup although this Linksys adapter will be replaced by Alfa.

Thanks

post-40744-0-60489000-1347911752_thumb.j

Hello !

You are going to want to purchase a POWERED USB hub if the one you actually own does not have a power option. The one you linked has a wall power adapter but I do not see one in the picture of your gear.

If your USB hub is capable of getting power from an external source cut the end off and modify it to get power from the battery pack.

***CAUTION*** make sure that your USB hub does not back feed power to the pineapple, if it does you will need to cut the red and black wires on the cable that connects the USB hut to the pineapple.***

EDIT: If you have questions on how to mod the USB cable or more info on the subject of USB and powering the pineapple have a look at this thread: http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/27504-usb-power-wifi-pineapple/

Edited by itsm0ld

would the hub from the hakshop be a better solution for an un-powered hub? i have a simular 4-port version of this hub that OP has, and i dont want to cut the power wire because i also use this hub for my tablet, but if the one at the hak-shop will work without modification, i have a local shop that sells them, and i dont mind picking one up

yours is a powered hub - im speaking of a unpowered hub, so i use less battery.

You are going to want a powered USB hub.....we see so many problems on the forum because people don't use a powered hub. Do you think the power is free if you get it through the USB port on the pineapple?

You are going to want a powered USB hub.....we see so many problems on the forum because people don't use a powered hub. Do you think the power is free if you get it through the USB port on the pineapple?

so when im using my pineapple with my alfa is that not using the same princaple? all i want is to use a USB for storage+my alfa for passthrough

so when im using my pineapple with my alfa is that not using the same princaple? all i want is to use a USB for storage+my alfa for passthrough

The problem is that the more items you add like your USB for storage and even a passive hub the pineapple will be unable to provide enough power for all your accessories. Rather than the pineapple shutting down it will just start to act unstable or unreliable.

The problem is that the more items you add like your USB for storage and even a passive hub the pineapple will be unable to provide enough power for all your accessories. Rather than the pineapple shutting down it will just start to act unstable or unreliable.

so a powered hub would solve the solution of that, but could possably back-feed into my fruity baby, thus making it a very pretty paper-weight? hmm.....

is there a way to safely have a small hub (2 ports is all i REALLY need) so i can have a second wifi anttena (alfa) and my USB storage? any recomendations then? i have a computer store in town that carries almost anything if i look hard enough...

so a powered hub would solve the solution of that, but could possably back-feed into my fruity baby, thus making it a very pretty paper-weight? hmm.....

is there a way to safely have a small hub (2 ports is all i REALLY need) so i can have a second wifi anttena (alfa) and my USB storage? any recomendations then? i have a computer store in town that carries almost anything if i look hard enough...

http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/27549-usb-hub-powered-by-wifi-pineapple/#entry210154

Did you read the posts in this thread? I linked you a powered one that does not require any cutting, and a search of the forum will yield you several more..............

The difference in power consumption between a 2 port and 4 is negligible if the other 2 ports are not in use.

Edited by itsm0ld