Usb Power Wifi Pineapple

k4r0nt3

First of all, I wanted to apologize for my English, which is very bad and I am Spanish.

Thing a few months ago I received my WiFi Pineapple and truth, I am very happy although I have little time to try to play with it. A few days ago I found here in Spain a USB cable with the power outlet to feed WiFi Pineapple usb THROUGH my laptop and it can go anywhere and play. What happens esque when I put the USB cable to the WiFi Pineapple LED lights flash a bit, but apparently not enough because the fed will not finish booting neither wifi nor ssh nor web panel, we do not nothing just lights. I looked at the voltage that gives me the USB cable and are 5V with center positive (normal as it only gives 5V usb) and then watched the feeder to be taking correinte to the wall and gives 12V

My question is:

I need a special USB cable? Since the cable hakshop see in the store that I have is like fisicante.

If I understand you correctly, you are plugging the USB from your laptop, into the USB on your Pineapple?

You should not do this, as this could harm the Pineapple!!

You should either buy a cable like this http://hakshop.mysho...usb-power-cable or make one yourself, to feed the Pineapple power the right way.

And laptops usually only give 500mA of juice, and the Pineapple uses up top 1000mA, so you should really not power it from the Laptop at all.

The best thing to do is to use an Anker Astro 3 batterypack, or as me a batterypack from DX.com. Theese batterypacks give you an output of up to 2Amps, which is enough for the Pineapple.

Edit: The reason why you can not connect to the Pineapple I would believe is because of too little power.

Edited by loozr

Is that the cable I have is the same as saying that I buy these, but is not given enough mA's why I do not quite go well. I will look to buy a battery as comets with sufientes mA to operate it well away from home.

Would be helpful or drums? would not create any problem in my wifi pineapple

http://www.amazon.com/5600mAh-External-Battery-Charger-Flashlight/dp/B005K7192G

Thanks for your help

Well, you could have a look in the thread http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/27372-anker-astro3-10000-mah/

But I have to say that I couldn't find any spec about the mA of the product in your link, it might be enough mA, but why gamble when the Anker Astro 10000 mah have 2 usb outputs of 2 Amps. It's not too expensive, and it can also output 5v, 9v and 12v. All within the operating area of the Pineapple.

I have a semi-related question. I recently received my powered USB hub from the Hak Shop and understand that the red is for power and the black is for data. I was under the impression that the hub itself would not power the pineapple, but that seems not to be the case. I opened the hub and it appears two of the wires from the red have been cut, presumably to avoid the back feed issues I have read about in the forums. My questions are, should the hub be providing power to the pineapple like this, is there any risk to my MkIV, and if the answeres are yes/no respectively, should I still be running power to the pineapple in the traditional sense to ensure proper functioanlity?

The equipment being used is the MkIV, the Hak Shop powered hub, and the Anker Astro 3 10000 with a USB to barrel adapter.

Edited by skimpniff

I have a semi-related question. I recently received my powered USB hub from the Hak Shop and understand that the red is for power and the black is for data. I was under the impression that the hub itself would not power the pineapple, but that seems not to be the case. I opened the hub and it appears two of the wires from the red have been cut, presumably to avoid the back feed issues I have read about in the forums. My questions are, should the hub be providing power to the pineapple like this, is there any risk to my MkIV, and if the answeres are yes/no respectively, should I still be running power to the pineapple in the traditional sense to ensure proper functioanlity?

The equipment being used is the MkIV, the Hak Shop powered hub, and the Anker Astro 3 10000 with a USB to barrel adapter.

Try this, plug the powered USB hub into the MK4 and nothing else, then connect power the USB hub, if the pineapple starts to power on then you know the USB hub is back feeding the MK4 and it is a problem.

I have verified that I am receiving power from the USB Hub alone. I have tried it with both the red and the black (each on their own) plugged into the battery. Do I need to clip a couple of wires on the black male to keep the power from back feeding? I'm guessing the iwres clipped from the red male are the data wires, to make it a power only connection.

Edited by skimpniff

I have verified that I am receiving power from the USB Hub alone. I have tried it with both the red and the black (each on their own) plugged into the battery. Do I need to clip a couple of wires on the black male to keep the power from back feeding? I'm guessing the iwres clipped from the red male are the data wires, to make it a power only connection.

Check out this picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanosteen/6049933558/

You do not need the red or black.

IIRC USB Spec is 500mAh, but as we've seen with devices in the last few years that has creeped up considerably (2.1 for the iPad!). This of course is good for us as it means availability of inexpensive high output usb batteries. Some older laptops may not be able to provide higher than 500mAh from the USB port, but as I've seen most now do. YMMV