Need Help Setting Up External Wifi Through Usb On Pineapple

Neworld

I don't quite know the commands to setup an external usb wifi through putty command line.

I can get airmon-ng to work properly, but need help more specifically with the commands to setup the external wifi.

I have a feeling its along the lines of

ifconfig wlan1 up

iwconfig.........

I'm a noob I know :D

It doesn't recognize dhclient at the end....

ifconfig wlan1 up
iwlist wlan1 scan
iwconfig wlan1 essid <network ID> key <wireless key>
dhclient wlan1
[/CODE]

it returns with not recognizing dhclient

Help if you understand how to set up external wifi from wifi pineapple. I'm using the one that came with it.

Please explain what I am doing wrong... do I need to install dhclient tool?

I even tried setting mon0... it works in regards to airmon-ng but is unrecognizable to iwconfig.

Help if you can.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your situation. Are you trying to use an external WiFi adapter (as in an ALFA) connected to the USB port on the Pineapple? Also what OS are you using? Hopefully it's Linux or Mac OSX.

If so...

First establish that you have connectivity between your PC and Pineapple via ethernet (cable) or wireless. If done correctly you should be able to access it via your web browser, 172.16.42.1/pineapple (enter name and password)

Next open up Terminal and SSH into your Pineapple and check to see if it can see that your ALFA is connected to the USB port

ssh root@172.16.42.1

iwconfig (you should see wlan1)

ifconfig wlan1 up

If you want to have your ALFA go into monitor mode...

airmon-ng start wlan1 (should say something like monitor mode enabled on mon0 or mon1)

airodump-ng mon0 (or mon1 to start scanning)

Edited by iXi

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your situation. Are you trying to use an external WiFi adapter (as in an ALFA) connected to the USB port on the Pineapple? Also what OS are you using? Hopefully it's Linux or Mac OSX.

If so...

First establish that you have connectivity between your PC and Pineapple via ethernet (cable) or wireless. If done correctly you should be able to access it via your web browser, 172.16.42.1/pineapple (enter name and password)

Next open up Terminal and SSH into your Pineapple and check to see if it can see that your ALFA is connected to the USB port

ssh root@172.16.42.1

iwconfig (you should see wlan1)

ifconfig wlan1 up

If you want to have your ALFA go into monitor mode...

airmon-ng start wlan1 (should say something like monitor mode enabled on mon0 or mon1)

airodump-ng mon0 (or mon1 to start scanning)

I'm trying to connect my alfa directly into the wifi pineapple and use the internet from the alfa to give internet to my pineapple...

I'm using putty to ssh into my wifi pineapple... and I get access to it, but I'm comfused because there is a interface on the wifipineapple home (172.16.42.1/pineapple) and the ssh on the home page thing is disabled. Do I need to use backtrack in order to ssh or putty? Do I need to enable ssh on the home?

In regards to airmon-ng and airodump-ng, I can use them just fine and scan perfectly in airodump but I don't know the commands to connect the alfa to the pineapple and use its internet to fuel the pineapple.

I hope that helped in understanding my position.

I'm having problems with dhclient command and wanted to place a new file into usr/bin to look to see if it fixes my problems....

I need to know the type of os the pineapple is running on.

If your interested in helping me and my problem, please refer to this post.

http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/27087-need-help-setting-up-external-wifi-through-usb-on-pineapple/

Issue arises:

ifconfig wlan1 up
iwconfig wlan1 essid <network name> key <net key>
dhclient wlan1
-ash: dhclient: not found
[/CODE]

help if you understand.

what OS are you using?

..... whatever os the pineapple mark IV is. My laptop is running windows vista but I'm using putty to use the pineapples terminal. You can also try the terminal under the Advanced tab in (172.16.42.1/pineapple) for the pineapple.

With the alfa wifi pluged into the wifi pineapple I was trying to get the alfa to give internet to the pineapple. My problem arises here...

ifconfig wlan1 up
iwconfig wlan1 essid <network name> key <network key>
dhclient wlan1
Error:
-ash: dhclinet: not recognized
[/CODE]

I know there is nothing wrong with the alfa because airmon-ng and airodump work perfectly when setting up monitor mode on wlan1 (mon0).

note: I'm using putty to use my wifi pineapple terminal. And yes I'm running in root.

The error you're getting is that your shell (ash) is telling you that no program exists within your path named "dhclient".

Try typing a tab after 'dh' (no idea if ash does tab-completion).

Alternative programs are called dhcpcd or pump which might have been installed instead.

Or you could install the dhclient package onto the system.

The error you're getting is that your shell (ash) is telling you that no program exists within your path named "dhclient".

Try typing a tab after 'dh' (no idea if ash does tab-completion).

Alternative programs are called dhcpcd or pump which might have been installed instead.

Or you could install the dhclient package onto the system.

I was planning on installing the dhclient package onto the system but I'm not sure how to proceed in doing that.

Do you install through command line somewhere along the lines of -apt get???

If so what are the commands to getting dhclient package?

If you need to get the file online and winscp it over... where is the directory suppose to be? usr/bin?

I believe this is the site for it online.... http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=dhclient

help if you can :D

Okay, here's the situation... I'm trying to connect the Alfa to my wifi pineapple and use the Alfa internet to provide to the pineapple. I'm not sure if there is a way to do this but here is what I tried:

I connected via putty and typed

ifconfig wlan1 up
iwlist wlan1 scan
iwconfig wlan1 essid <network id> key <wireless key>
===and no its not a askii problem either===
dhclient wlan1
[/CODE]

All is dandy up until I type dhclient... It is unrecognizable:

[CODE]
-ash: dhclient: not found
[/CODE]

I know there is nothing wrong with the Alfa because airmon-ng and airodump work perfectly....

I believe the problem is that dhclient command doesn't exist on the pineapple but neither does dhcpcd or pump.

there is probably an easy way to do this but for me I'm having trouble.... help if you can

Here are the other two topics I posted on the matter regarding my problem. :(

http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/27087-need-help-setting-up-external-wifi-through-usb-on-pineapple/

http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/27091-what-specific-os-does-the-wifi-pineapple-run-on/

Note: I'm unsure how to extract .rpm within the pineapple... I was planning on installing dhclient.

opkg is the package manager on the pineapple. I'm pretty sure dhclient is available, but I don't have my pineapple near me to check.

Ssh into the pineapple and issue these commands:

opkg update

opkg install dhclient

telot

opkg is the package manager on the pineapple. I'm pretty sure dhclient is available, but I don't have my pineapple near me to check.

Ssh into the pineapple and issue these commands:

opkg update

opkg install dhclient

telot

Mate, one post on your issue is enough, no need to create 3 different topics ;) It will be easier for people to help you.

To answer one of your question: Install dhclient

- ssh to your pineapple

- opkg update

- opkg install dhcp-client

Great! I installed dhclient.... but I'm still having problems setting it up.

what are the commands to set this thing up?

Have you guys ever used the alfa's internet to power the pineapple?

What do I need to do to get this thing working??

No need to insteall dhclient or other packages. The pineapple has udhcpc installed which you can use to get a dhcp ip address on any interface adaptor.

udhcpc -i <interface>

This will work fine for accessing the internet once you've got an ip on the pineapple itself, but wont be any good for having clients connected to the pineapple's wifi accesspoint until you setup ipv4 packet forwarding. I'm going to post info on doing that tonight.

No need to insteall dhclient or other packages. The pineapple has udhcpc installed which you can use to get a dhcp ip address on any interface adaptor.

udhcpc -i <interface>

This will work fine for accessing the internet once you've got an ip on the pineapple itself, but wont be any good for having clients connected to the pineapple's wifi accesspoint until you setup ipv4 packet forwarding. I'm going to post info on doing that tonight.

Lsc I love it:-)